No Bake Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
This coconut cream pie recipe is an easy no bake pie made with coconut instant pudding, cool whip (or whipped cream) and a homemade pie crust all topped with shredded coconut. Thanksgiving just got better!
Now don’t panic, you do need to bake the crust. BUT! That’s it! You could even buy a pre-made crust but I don’t know why you would if you can make homemade pie crust and all of it’s flaky goodness.
Ok, but the filling, now that’s no-bake! You see, custards and pudding from scratch are kind of a hassle in my humble opinion. This recipe uses simple ingredients that bust out the creamiest filling with only half the work. And best of all, because you don’t have to cook the filling, you’ll end up with a perfect pie every single time.
Ingredients for Coconut Cream Pie
The creamy coconut filling only requires 6 ingredients! I call that a total win! Here is your shopping list:
- Pie Crust (store bought or homemade)
- Coconut Instant Pudding – I can usually find this at most grocery stores, especially Walmart. If you can’t find it, read the section below for a substitute.
- Milk – combines with the pudding mix to make creamy coconut pudding
- Cream Cheese – adds flavor and stabilization to the cream filling
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – adds sweetness and creaminess
- Cool Whip – can be substituted with whipped cream if desired, see section below
- Shredded Sweetened Coconut – I like mine toasted and I’ve included instructions below for toasting coconut,
The measurements for each ingredient are listed in the recipe card at the end the post.
How to Make No Bake Coconut Cream Pie
The best thing about a no bake pie is that is comes together in just a few minutes. Here are the basic steps:
- Whisk together the pudding and milk in a large bowl and set it aside to thicken.
- Blind bake the pie crust until it is golden and then let it cool completely. Head to our lemon meringue pie post for details on blind baking a crust.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk.
- Combine the cream cheese mixture with the pudding.
- Add a third of the cool whip and fold to combine. Then fold in the remaining cool whip a little at a time.
- Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and let it chill for a few hours in the fridge.
- Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut and serve.
All of these instructions in full detail can be found in the recipe card below.
Is There a Substitute for Coconut Instant Pudding?
If you can’t find the coconut instant pudding, go with vanilla instant pudding and add a teaspoon of coconut extract. Still make the pudding with the 1 cup of milk per the instructions.
Can I Use Whipped Cream Instead of Cool Whip?
Yes, absolutely! You will want to whip 1 1/2 cups of fresh whipping cream with a little powdered sugar mixed in to sweeten it. Beat it until soft peaks form then fold it into the pudding as directed in the instructions.
How to Keep Coconut Cream Pie from Getting Watery
I have found that using instant pudding really helps with not getting a watery pie. A runny pie is much more common when you make a custard or pudding from scratch.
Can Coconut Cream Pie Be Made Ahead of Time?
This a great pie recipe for Thanksgiving because it can be made up to a day ahead of time. One less thing to worry about on Thanksgiving day! Make the pie as written, but wait to add the whipped cream and shredded coconut on top until right before serving.
How to Store Coconut Cream Pie
Leftover coconut cream pie should be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 4 days.
How to Toast Coconut
Coconut can be toasted in the oven, in the microwave or on the stove top. I prefer the stove top method because it allows me to see it constantly and have control over how brown it gets. Here is how you do it:
- Place the shredded coconut in a large skillet.
- Using medium low heat, cook the coconut while stirring frequently.
- When the flakes are golden, remove them from the heat and allow them to cool.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it’s all about pie. And I am also ALL ABOUT PIE!! This easy no bake coconut cream pie is both simple and decadent. You can’t beat a pie that comes together in minutes!
More No Bake Pie Recipes:
No Bake Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 Pie Crust
- 1 Coconut Instant Pudding 3.4 ounce box
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1/2 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 ounce
- 1/2 Container Cool Whip 6 oz container, defrosted or 1 1/2 cups fresh whipped cream with a little powdered sugar beaten until soft peaks form.
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- Additional Coconut for serving
In a large bowl, whisk the pudding and milk and set aside.
Prepare a blind bake pie crust. **See notes for instructions on blind baking a pie crust.
In a bowl, beat the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
Add the pudding into the cream cheese mixture and stir until evenly combined.
Add 1/3 of the cool whip to the bowl, and gently fold it into everything.
Add the remaining cool whip and fold until completely combined. Adding a little at a time is keeping it lighter vs just whipping it all together. Fold in the shredded coconut.
Add the filling to the pie crust and chill for 2-4 hours or up to over night. Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut and serve!
This pie will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.